Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Collage Artist Chelsea Groves

Chelsea explains her work, "My collages are not collages in the traditional sense, but more what I like to call "painting with paper." I paint the majority of my background with acrylic paint, then cut out paper leaves individually to create foliage. I then compose a bird from carefully trimmed layers of paper and accent it with ink and paint details.


I like using paper in my work for many reasons: it adds texture and depth, I like vibrant pattern and crisp edges, and often papers have small flaws which add character to a piece.

Papers that I use include cardstock, scrapbooking paper, wallpaper, silhouette paper, and a prized stock of origami and chiyogami papers brought to me from Japan as a gift from my inlaws."

You can see more of Chelsea's work at her website http://chelsea.sevorg.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment